Providing a relaxed, supportive, and educational atmosphere for those who are non-human identified.

How are Tulpa's different from Multiples?

Starchaser

Species : Constans Werewolf

How are Tulpa's different from Multiples?

Post  Starchaser on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:42 am

(This may be in the wrong location, so please move it if it is)

I've seen Tulpa's show up just about everywhere I turn lately so I did some research on the subject from many informational and help sites dedicated to the subject. From what I gather, Tulpa's are mental constructs that take on a life of their own through building. Essentially, you willingly create another being in your mind along with memories, a voice, feelings, emotions, and so on.

My question is, how exactly does this differ from multiplicity? I realize that many multiples just coexist in a body and no one created them. They were just there. I view that as something of a natural multiplicity. However, if by willingly creating another being (the tulpa), you are molding an unique individual that will also be sharing a body with it's creator, aren't you essentially creating a head mate? Would having a Tulpa be considered a form of Multiplicity?

Chimera

Species : Varies

Re: How are Tulpa's different from Multiples?

Post  Chimera on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Depends.

Some people creating a tulpa do so only to create an 'imaginary friend' or 'mental construct.' However some people creating a tulpa do so with the intent to create another person.

Also, a number people in the tulpa community only see their tulpa as hallucinations or creations of the brain and not real people. However, there are people in the plural community that have created a tulpa and have formed a multiple system with them.

Finally, at the end of the day its similar to how some therians don't consider themselves otherkin in this - one groups definition (though their are some slightly varying definitions) might include another group... but that doesn't mean they are going to use it or consider themselves it. Even those people who have a tulpa as another person and they even let the tulpa control the body (they call is possession rather than fronting) they may or may not consider themselves multiple.

(We actually have several tulpa-like daemons in our system actually.)

- Cavern-Risen
    Starchaser

Post  Starchaser on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Chimera wrote:Depends.

Some people creating a tulpa do so only to create an 'imaginary friend' or 'mental construct.' However some people creating a tulpa do so with the intent to create another person.

Also, a number people in the tulpa community only see their tulpa as hallucinations or creations of the brain and not real people. However, there are people in the plural community that have created a tulpa and have formed a multiple system with them.  

Finally, at the end of the day its similar to how some therians don't consider themselves otherkin in this - one groups definition (though their are some slightly varying definitions) might include another group... but that doesn't mean they are going to use it or consider themselves it. Even those people who have a tulpa as another person and they even let the tulpa control the body (they call is possession rather than fronting) they may or may not consider themselves multiple.

- Cavern-Risen  

So, at the core of it all, what they become/are depends on the ones that created them.  Is that right?
    Chimera

Post  Chimera on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Starchaser wrote:
    Chimera wrote:Depends.

- Cavern-Risen  

So, at the core of it all, what they become/are depends on the ones that created them.  Is that right?
    To an extent, but also its up to the tulpa as well to what they do and don't want to be called.

- Earth Listener
    Starchaser

Post  Starchaser on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Thank you for the bit of enlightenment, even though what a Tulpa is has a very..very broad definition, it's still nice to know this. Wolf Grin 
    Kai
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Species : Snow Leopard/Dragon

Post  Kai on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:05 pm

You know, I've actually never even heard of this term, tulpa, until very very recently (like yesterday recently).
    Is this a new term that's come about? And if you're willing, Starchaser, could you maybe link a source your two you looked at. I'm interesting in finding out more about these for myself, because I think it may be something that I experienced, or that happened to me many years ago before I knew about therianthropy, plurality, or really any of this.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Howe's Egg Principle
    Chimera

Post  Chimera on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Kai wrote:You know, I've actually never even heard of this term, tulpa, until very very recently (like yesterday recently).
    Is this a new term that's come about? And if you're willing, Starchaser, could you maybe link a source your two you looked at. I'm interesting in finding out more about these for myself, because I think it may be something that I experienced, or that happened to me many years ago before I knew about therianthropy, plurality, or really any of this.
    The word 'tulpa' and its origins are old Tibetan word and technique actually. The first time it appears in English translation of the Tibetan Book of the Dead around the 1930s.

The idea of creating a tulpa or 'thoughtform' is very big in the occult community espcially in chaos magick and we've seen books dating to the 1980s and 1970s mentioning them. There are dozens and dozens of websites and books all around thoughtforms in both a spiritual sense and a psychological sense.

They are also not unknown outside the occult community. There actually is an old Twilight Zone episode called "The Tulpa" which is about a monk creating several American journalists to talk too.

The only 'new' aspect of tulpa that is recent is that the idea was picked up to be used for companionship much more than just 'creating an entity for a job' which is what the online tulpa community is today. ( Site example - http://www.tulpa.info/) Whereas before the community came about any non-occult or non-job intended tulpa was kind of surrounded by stuff about occult related and job-created tulpa. Though there is text years back of creating a tulpa for companionship. In fact Lupa (the author of Field Guide to Otherkin ) even talked about thoughtforms and how to create them in one of her books (Fang and Fur, Blood and Bone back in the mid 2000s).

- Mist Weaver
    Kai
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post  Kai on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:35 pm

Other than her Field guide to Otherkin I haven't really read any of Lupa's books as her beliefs are like night and day to mine, so there'd be no real purpose in my reading them. Razz

That's a lot of really helpful information, Mist Weaver. I had no idea the term and the concept of Tulpas had been around for so long. And knowing that they're also sometimes called thoughtforms will be helpful in learning about them too. Thank you. :3

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Howe's Egg Principle
    Chimera

Post  Chimera on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:09 am

Kai wrote:Other than her Field guide to Otherkin I haven't really read any of Lupa's books as her beliefs are like night and day to mine, so there'd be no real purpose in my reading them. Razz

That's a lot of really helpful information, Mist Weaver. I had no idea the term and the concept of Tulpas had been around for so long. And knowing that they're also sometimes called thoughtforms will be helpful in learning about them too. Thank you. :3
    Well, I only mentioned Lupa's books because I know people know of her so it could be a frame of reference of just how the topic of thoughtforms/tulpa/ similar can be around without knowing it.

Another similar connected concept and a concept with familiarity to old concepts with some spins to it is the daemon community which a number of people probably know a bit about. This similarity actually isn't lost on some people either as a number of people in the daemon community (ourselves included) has actually taken the tulpa communities techniques to better create their daemons and we've even seen some form the tulpa community take some ideas from the daemon community when it comes to finding entertainment and things to do with their tulpa for learning about themselves.

(This possible similarity in shades of thoughtforms and daemons was not lost on us either. As we had been using some techniques and ideas found in books on thoughtforms to better 'solidify' and make them 'more real.' Which is one reason why we sometimes call them our tulpa-like daemons at this point anymore because while they are still daemons in their connection to their person sense they've really grown in some ways because of the techniques we've used so they are very real to us and their will to project or not is actually theirs rather than ours among other things.)

- Mist Weaver
    Kai
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post  Kai on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:36 am

Okay, when you put it that way, and from what I know of daemons, I can see how the techniques from one could have a helpful affect on the other, that going both ways. It makes me wonder where this rise in tulpa talk will end up.

-Howe's Egg Principle
    Starchaser

Post  Starchaser on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:15 am

Kai wrote:You know, I've actually never even heard of this term, tulpa, until very very recently (like yesterday recently).

Mist Weaver actually quoted my biggest source (tulpa.info) with their forum being my next biggest research tool.

It's quite fascinating how all these various things link together. But like you Kai, since there's this sudden explosion of Tulpa-talk, I'm curious as to where it's going to lead as well.
    Seles

Species : Unidentified

Post  Seles on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:51 pm

I am considerably late to the party, so if I'm engaging in any foul necromantic arts, please correct me.

When I became a multiple system, I eventually took to creating "artificial" multiples, as well, for various reasons. I never called them "Tulpa", but I imagine that they are at least similar enough that my input may be pertinent to the discussion at hand.

My artificial constructs felt different than the "genuine" multiples that shared my system. If I were to try to describe it, it would be that the "genuine" multiples had a living, self-contained core whereas my artificial constructs did not; while they could exist in thought separately, hold their own identities, their source was irrevocably tied to my own. One could possibly liken the act to splitting a ray of light into multiple colors via a prism; though the colors are no longer "white" and are visually distinct and separate, their existence nonetheless remains intimately tied to the white light and prism that gave rise to them.

If one were to speak on a technical level, I do believe a multiple system may very well be comprised purely of "genuine" multiples, "artificial" multiples, or even a mix, with only minor pragmatic differences between them. The creation of and resultant qualities of artificial multiples, though, I feel, are naturally restricted based on the capabilities of the one creating them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:23 pm