Providing a relaxed, supportive, and educational atmosphere for those who are non-human identified.

Have you created anything in your head?

Talon
    Administrator
    Administrator

Species : Anthro Reptile

Have you created anything in your head?

Post  Talon on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Just out of curiosity, have you ever created any sort of mental construct at any point in your life? If so, what was it and what happened to it?
    Kai
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Species : Snow Leopard/Dragon

Re: Have you created anything in your head?

Post  Kai on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:28 pm

When I was in high school and my other personality was coming into her own, and I was transitioning into that median system state, I invented a counter personality to her to try and keep balance...It flopped miserable. It was like the equivalent of pretending to be something vs actually being something. Me and her both knew that this creation was just a creation and had no real say or sway, so pretty quickly she fell to the wayside as just a character I would role play from time to time.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Howe's Egg Principle
    Talon
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Talon on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:17 pm

I think I may have had an imaginary friend when I was very young, briefly. I suppose it's usefulness wore off when I was done playing so it simply just went away. Product of an active imagination in an only child environment.
    Sparta

Species : Raichu

Post  Sparta on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:28 pm

When I was younger, I fell into a slight pit of depression thinking about my best friend (my Charizard friend) to the point where I thought I started hearing his voice in my head. I quickly snapped out of that state though when I realized I was traveling down a very bad emotional path. So I think, very briefly, I may have created something in my head, but quickly shoo'd it back away.
    Tater
    New
    New

Species : Donkey

Post  Tater on Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:54 pm

I had an imaginary friend when I was a kid for awhile. We went on all kinds of adventures together in the yard. Grew out of that though.
    RustyWolf

Species : Wolf

Post  RustyWolf on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:45 pm

When I was but a pup, I used to pretend I was chasing wild game in my yard so I created scenarios in my head, then chased the fake animals in the yard until I made my fake kill. It was always a pleasure when there were real things in the yard to hunt even if I failed in taking anything down.
    Talon
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Talon on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:04 pm

When I'm reading a book, I often construct everything in my head that I'm reading about. I merely deem this as my imagination at work, but wonder if it technically counts as creating a mental construct, even if it's only for the duration of the read?
    Sundancer

Species : Gryphon

Post  Sundancer on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Talon wrote:When I'm reading a book, I often construct everything in my head that I'm reading about.  I merely deem this as my imagination at work, but wonder if it technically counts as creating a mental construct, even if it's only for the duration of the read?

A good point, but then you get into the issue of whether everything you imagine in in your head is a construct and if that's the case, everyone has made them and do all the time. I think maybe if the constructs stuck around for any length of time beyond the reading period then maybe? I'm not all that clear really on what makes something just simply imaginary and what defines a construct as more than just the imagination or if that's all a construct really is in the long run.
    TheLark

Species : Winged Human

Post  TheLark on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:25 pm

I'd agree that in this context a construct is something that hangs around. Like others have mentioned I'm always creating and ignoring story lines in my head (like a book I'm reading or something else). But these are just short lived (often only a few minutes) and so I don't consider them constructs, just my imagination doing its thing.
    Kane

Species : Crocodile

Post  Kane on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Isn't a construct just something created in the imagination too though? I don't grasp some of these concepts too well.
    TheLark

Post  TheLark on Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:44 pm

Kane wrote:Isn't a construct just something created in the imagination too though?  I don't grasp some of these concepts too well.  
    I think it is one of those lovely terms with a shaded meaning. Yes, a construct is something created in your imagination and so anything you make up could be a construct. However, most uses I've seen for it as it relates to 'kin is something that lasts longer than a session or two. It is something that you re-visit over a (long?) period of time and build on/strengthen.

Just my 10c (as the 2c and 5c and no longer in circulation).
    Kai
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Species : Snow Leopard/Dragon

Post  Kai on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:33 am

Kane wrote:Isn't a construct just something created in the imagination too though?  I don't grasp some of these concepts too well.  
    Yeah, a construct is created in your imagination. To expand on what Lark said, it's basically a more grown up accepted term for an imaginary friend.

For kids it's portrayed as this lonely, or socially awkward kid thing. But there are cases where an "imaginary friend" or mental construct can be helpful or enjoyable even in adult life. For example, For some authors, particularly of a series of books, their characters may be mental constructs living in their heads as it were. This is different from plurality because they aren't entirely separate individuals. They're still subject to you and you could banish them or alter things about them if you wanted to.

Another reason for them may be in an intellectual. A thinker or philosopher who has created a mental construct to play the devil's advocate or analyze things with.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Howe's Egg Principle
    Ink

Species : Common Raven

Post  Ink on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:50 pm

While I personally would make the argument that you are very much right and that constructs are likely just the imagination run amok, for the sake of those who do believe in constructs as actual things, they are just that - things you construct in your mind to be permanent or semi-permanent.
    Wind

Species : Dragon Shifter

Post  Wind on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:00 pm

A few things actually. While he disagrees, I created Aero who is some sort of Daemon-like thing. I also created an inner world for myself which I use to relax, and to help me write. Constructs, as Ink said, are permanent or semi-permanent things. They are consistent and not just fleeting thoughts though.

Dewdrop

Species : Dragon

Post  Dewdrop on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:06 pm

My whole life, I think I've created voices for my plants as funny as that might sound. I promise you I'm sane though! They've all got their own personalities and voices and I talk back to them. That makes me sound a little crazy.
    TheLark

Post  TheLark on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Dewdrop wrote:My whole life, I think I've created voices for my plants as funny as that might sound.  I promise you I'm sane though! They've all got their own personalities and voices and I talk back to them.  That makes me sound a little crazy.
    You aren't the only one to talk to plants Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:57 pm