Providing a relaxed, supportive, and educational atmosphere for those who are non-human identified.

Mental constructs and your thoughts on them.

Sharden
    Administrator
    Administrator

Species : Furred Dragon

Mental constructs and your thoughts on them.

Post  Sharden on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:21 am

Mental constructs are just fancy words for things you create in your mind with your imagination. They can be anything from engineered head spaces to imaginary friends and beyond. How do you feel about mental constructs? Do you think they have their benefits? Do you think they can be harmful in some way?
    TheLark

Species : Winged Human

Re: Mental constructs and your thoughts on them.

Post  TheLark on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:36 pm

I think that they can be very beneficial as they tend to be a safe place where we can 'go' and be whatever we want. I think the danger is that that can be so much better than reality that we want to stay there.
    Firetide

Species : Wyvern

Post  Firetide on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:29 pm

I don't see a problem with creating things in your mind unless you become obsessive with it. At that point, you need to find a new hobby because it's no longer healthy.
    Kai
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Species : Snow Leopard/Dragon

Post  Kai on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Firetide wrote:I don't see a problem with creating things in your mind unless you become obsessive with it.  At that point, you need to find a new hobby because it's no longer healthy.
    Pretty much this. "Mental constructs" are fancy words for imaginary friends, and there's nothing wrong with being imaginative unless it starts to impair your functionality or get to be an obsession or mentally harmful.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Howe's Egg Principle
    Storms Shadow

Species : Abyssinian Cat

Post  Storms Shadow on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:26 pm

I agree with what most everyone above has said.

There's a little girl that comes in to get allergy shots at the practice and she has an imaginary friend who apparently tells her that she needs to be strong and not cry when she gets her shots. Course, I try to carry on a conversation with her and her imaginary friend and that helps too. Wink
    Seven

Species : Multiple System

Post  Seven on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:55 pm

I have a tulpa, so a bit biased. Think they are a positive thing.
    Kai
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Species : Snow Leopard/Dragon

Post  Kai on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:15 am

Storms Shadow wrote:I agree with what most everyone above has said.  

There's a little girl that comes in to get allergy shots at the practice and she has an imaginary friend who apparently tells her that she needs to be strong and not cry when she gets her shots. Course, I try to carry on a conversation with her and her imaginary friend and that helps too.  Wink
    Oh my gosh, that's adorable! I hope people don't give her grief for it. It was great of you to be so sweet to her. :3

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Howe's Egg Principle
    Seven

Species : Multiple System

Post  Seven on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:45 am

the tulpa is annoying. she never shuts up. she talks. she sings. she plays. can be very funny at times but she ge ts on my nerves. does keep the fights down though. can we please put her back outside now? -B
    Nassath

Species : Lizard

Post  Nassath on Fri May 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Mental constructs such as imaginary friends, Tulpa, and so on, I think, could possibly be useful to some degree. The problem arises though when we start believe them to be actually real. They may be real to the individual in their minds, but one should never lose touch with reality and knowing that they're just what we call them: Mental constructs - creations of the mind.
    Wind

Species : Dragon Shifter

Post  Wind on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:16 pm

For me, my mental constructs allow me an escape to push aside this world and enter one that I can use to think and sort out issues. Not to mention, as of late, I've been using it as a story teller aide for my writing. I think up of a bunch of characters, sort of let them do their thing in my head, and it gives me some creative writing ideas when I get writers block.
    Talon
    Administrator
    Administrator

Species : Anthro Reptile

Post  Talon on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:14 am

I suppose they could be handy some how, but I don't have time for play pretend with my head garbage. So I don't have much use for Tulpae and things like that.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:00 pm